Thursday, February 17, 2011

On Kinsey's Patio



Time heals all wounds they say and though it might be true I believe time also leaves some of its own. It creates distance where there was none. It can turn a beautiful thing into a distant memory.

We bought our first house when our kids were very small. Our neighborhood was full of kids their age; a nice mix of Black, White and Mexican kids. Having the largest front yard and a built in playground in the back, our house quickly became the gathering place for the neighborhood kids. We spent many a summer day having water fights in the front yard and many a night playing hide and seek under the bright moon. There was no house off limits, the kids would hide in the bushes, behind parked cars, in the trees or anywhere their little bodies would fit. Everyone looked out for each other’s kids. The kids themselves looked out for each other.  It was a wonderful time indeed.

I remember one evening out on our Patio, while my husband grilled hamburgers and hotdogs for all the kids, I called them all together into a circle and asked them to make me a promise. Promise me, I said that when you are all older, when you are all in high school you won’t let the opinions of others ruin the good thing that you have right now. They looked at me a bit confused and shook their heads in agreement.

Of course it was just wishful thinking, by the time the kids were in high school they each had their own set of friends and rarely spent time with each other anymore. Time slowly created a distance between them. All of them, including my own, found kids “like them” to hang around with. The crazy, fun loving group of kids who had spent many years growing up together were now divided by the color of their skin.

All of them are adults now, many have moved out of their parents house but I still see one here or there. They are always as happy to see me as I am to see them. I’m sure they have as many good memories as I do. It is just a shame how things unfold, how people change, how time can sometimes just kill a good thing.

I wonder about the times this family spent  “On Kinsey’s Patio”. Did the kids in the picture remain close or did they drift apart? Do they ever think about the times they spent together? I really hope they do.



This is written on the back of the photo. This photo was taken on the Kinsey family patio. Barbara Ellen, the last child listed is the same little girl pictured in "A father's pride and joy?".

Here is another picture taken on Kinsey's Patio:



This blog is a search for the Kinsey Family  {Read about it here}

 

2 comments:

  1. Breathtaking writing, amazing post and blog. Found you on Etsy Blog Team, thanks so much for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to let you know that I enjoyed your writing muchly, and that what you've written is so true, and also so sad. It's a shame that we let race and creed divide us as we mature and try to fit into a society that until only very recently frowned in a big way on "mingling".
    I experienced something similiar as a child, but unlike your story time did not divide me from my "mixed" friends, and I still see many of them today when they come to visit the "old neighborhood".

    I count myself one of the lucky ones.

    Eileen
    - Cookalashoc
    and fellow EBT team member

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...